Healthy eating, effective home oral care and regular dental visits are the three essential steps to maintain healthy teeth and gums for all age groups. It is important than an older person, just like anyone else, limits the intake of sugary food and drinks, brushes twice daily, and regularly visits the dentist.
Tips to keep your mouth healthy
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Clean between the teeth at least once a day with floss or inter-dental brushes
- Reduce the intake of sugary food and drinks, ideally limiting them to meal times
- Keep hydrated with water, especially if you have dry mouth, and chew sugar-free gum if possible
- If you are a denture wearer, throughly clean dentures daily, and soak them overnight in denture cleaner
- Visit your dentist at least once a year so any problems can be detected early and treated
- Quit smoking - it's bad for teeth and gums as well as everything else.
If in doubt about your mouth, see your dentist.