Protecting your patients
Guidelines for Oral Health Practitioners
Updated 25 February 2022
COVID-19 Protection Framework (traffic light settings)
Oral health professionals will be following the Dental Council’s Supplementary Standard to the Infection Prevention and Control Practice Standard - Risk management principles for oral health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
All patients need to be asked and are required to answer the following risk assessment questions prior to their appointment and confirmed on their arrival.
- Do you or any member of your household have COVID-19 or are you waiting for a COVID-19 PCR test result? (not a routine surveillance test result)
- Are you required to self-isolate (including arrival from overseas)?
- Do you have ANY of the following symptoms now, or in the last 14 days?
– Fever, acute cough or shortness of breath
– Muscle aches, loss of smell, sore throat
– Generally feeling unwell with no other likely diagnosis
- Do you have any other reason to think that you are at risk of having COVID-19?