Dental Aid Abroad
The NZDA supports a number of regular overseas dental aid programmes in countries such as Nepal, Fiji, Cambodia, and many other regions. With the help of volunteer dental professionals and donations, these programmes help to provide much needed dental care to people who do not have access to basic dental resources.
NZDA provides support for NZDA members who take part in, or organize, voluntary oral health services in overseas arenas. The total annual funding made available is NZ$20,000 per annum over a three year period.
Members of the NZDA who are involved in voluntary overseas dental aid projects are invited to apply for funding to support your projects.
Wrigley Company Foundation NZDA 'Pacific Region Dental Aid Grant 2013-2015'
As part of the Overseas Aid Grants programme introduced in 2011, the New Zealand Dental Association (NZDA) has partnered with The Wrigley Company Foundation to provide a Pacific Region grant category to the value of USD$5,000 for the next three years.
The Pacific Region Dental Aid Grant seeks to promote access to oral health education in the Pacific Islands, where the very high population-to-dentist ratio has created a virtually limitless need for dental aid. For the purpose of this programme, the Pacific Islands are defined as comprising New Guinea, New Caledonia, Torres Strait Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, the Solomon Islands, Micronesia and Polynesia (the Hawaiian Islands, Rotuma, the Midway Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, the Cook Islands, Wallis and Futuna, Tokelau, Nieu, French Polynesia and Easter Island).
Applications for 2013 Grants are now open. Applications close on 31 August 2013
Dental Aid Volunteers Required
Marine Reach - Ship Outreaches - Pacific Islands
Dentists, Dental Assistants and Hygienists needed
Come for an adventure with us on board our new ship! We go to the remote islands in the Pacific ( Fiji, Vanuatu and Philippines), where there is a desperate need for medical care. You fly out to the location and join us on the ship. You will enjoy the accommodation on board.
We have a number of 2 week outreaches every year, dentistry is always a key focus.
This year there is still an opportunity to join us in our land-based October Vanuatu trip. We are busy preparing the ship for 2014, watch out for our NZ ship tour visiting a port near you!
Dental Volunteers for Israel
Opportunities for Dentists to work as volunteers for 2 - 4 weeks in a modern clinic in Jerusalem providing free dental care for underprivileged children, regardless of race or religion. Travel costs are not covered but free apartments are available for volunteers.
Please contact Dr Ross Ferguson email@example.com for further information.
Dentistry In Ladakh - Himalayan Region of North India
Himalayan Dentistry is requesting volunteer dentists, hygienists, therapists, assistants or able support for their dental aid work based at Leh, the main town in Ladakh.
A report on this dental aid overseas was placed in the May 2013 NZDA Dental News.
Dates are 11th August 2014 to 1st Sept 2014.
Auckland Dental Association/Newton Wickham Trust
The ADANWT DAA acts as an umbrella organisation with dental aid abroad. We undertake to do the following:
- Collect, audit and store unwanted dental supplies from individuals and companies which are surplus to requirements.
- Re-distribute these goods from our small facility in East Auckland to dentists and dental staff who undertake voluntary dental projects overseas. Dentists are invited to come and identify supplies they may take with them.
- Act as a co-ordinator for information and destinations for dental aid abroad expeditions.
- We have a small range of specialised dental equipment that can be lent out for short-term overseas dental projects.
- We are in the process of organising an on-going voluntary project at an overseas destination in the pacific, funded partly by ADANWT and staffed by a rotating group of voluntary dentists on a yearly basis.
- Please contact us through the Auckland Dental Association: email firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Jonathan Cole: email email@example.com or phone 09 527 6322